Kind of Embarrassed.. - Pretty Little Liars Review

13:43




Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard 


Pretty Little Liars or PLL is about a group of four girls, Emily, Hanna, Aria and Spencer whose best friend Alison goes missing. Years later, Ali is found dead and the girls not only mourn but sigh in relief. Why? Because Ali knew all their secrets, secrets that even the other girls didn't know about. Until each of them receives emails, messages, etc. from an anonymous "A" and the panic starts to come through.


I'm not going to lie, this series is a guilty pleasure.

It's not necessarily the kind of book -- or television show that I would be interested in but man, its addicting. 

I started reading a portion of this series when I was in middle school and I loved it, although how long it pulled through (I believe theres somewhere between 12-16 books in this series) really bored me. 

I'm hoping to read the whole series this time around so you'll get to hear all my thoughts within the next few months or so! 

Generally, I love mystery/thriller novels but this plot in particular wouldn't be something I'd read at the store and bring it home with me. I find that perhaps the plot is aimed more towards younger teens - as it is, but I seem to be addicted to it regardless. 

The writing style is definitely straight to the point and specific. The writing itself doesn't make you think, but perhaps the plot does. It is very suspenseful, I'll admit and the reader will always be wondering who "A" is.

I think Pretty Little Liars fits the perfect "YA Trash" genre. Not because its bad "trash" but because it's a novel thats so cheesy almost, perhaps cringey to some, but it is incredibly addicting.

My favourite aspect was the characters. Each of the four girls had very interesting stories and secrets. And usually, at times like this where more than one character is portrayed, you either get caught up with one of the characters and leave the rest out, or you're just not in tune to the anyone, really.

But Sara Shepard does a great job making all four of the characters' stories memorable ones -- where its hard to pick a favourite character.

I love love the diversity as always. You follow different stories of these four girls, involving different sexualities, perhaps sometimes different races they encounter, etc. And it's quite interesting. For the most part, it feels like you're almost part of these group of friends.

Alison also gets very annoying (the girls all have frequent flashbacks including her) but its hard to dismiss her as she's a main character of this series.

Overall, am I embarrassed as an 19 year old girl who be addicted to PLL? Kind of, honestly. Will I continue to read them? Duh.

You Might Also Like

0 comments