Definitely Not What I Expected - Turtles All The Way Down Review (Some Spoilers)

14:11




Turtles All The Way Down by John Green 


John Green's newest book follows our main character Aza whose best friend is set on getting her to pursue an investigation on missing Russell Pickett -- Aza's once childhood best friend's dad. Set on the hundred - thousand dollar reward, Aza's best friend Daisy tries to re-connect Pickett's son Davis and Aza, which becomes quite difficult when Aza finds herself caught up in her own thoughts.


Might I say, I LOVED this book!

Originally, I had no intentions of reading this. I was never a die hard John Green fan, so this release wasn't a big deal for me.

I had also read the plot once it came out and thought it wasn't of my taste either so I didn't bother.

But of course, like all books I'm not originally into, I saw it all over bookstagram and people were talking about how amazing it was and I had to.

I read this book in around 24 hours, maybe a little more but not enough to be two days. It was definitely worth it and I loved every second of the book.

I want to start off with the characters; everyone knows my main focus in stories are the characters and the plot.

I loved Aza. I thought she was a great character. She also has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as do I and I found a lot of our ticks were very similar. For example, Aza doing things in a series of numbers -- like when she digs her finger nail in her scalp five times -- five is also my "safety number" in which I do things in intervals of five until it feels alright.

I also really related to the fact that she over researches things -- for example at the beginning of the book she feels like she has a certain disease -- although she does not and continuously researches the symptoms on WebMD and is convinced she has that disease. That's another thing I really struggle with alongside a few other ticks and my boyfriend always makes sure I'm not constantly looking up symptoms to things I don't have.

Personally, I feel as if most books give such a false view of OCD. I've read one other book that I loved and related to, but other than that, most YA Contemporaries feel as if they romanticize the illness.

What I loved most beside the realistic compulsions, was that John Green himself also has OCD. Nothing gets realer than an author writing about his own compulsions through literature and I felt like because of that, it was also more meaningful, more relatable.

On the other side, I didn't really like Aza's best friend Daisy. To me, it felt as if all she cared about was herself and the money. Aza had proper views on how she was going to use the money they earned while Daisy blew all her money at once and tried to persuade Aza to do that same.

Personally, she was my least favourite character of them all.

I also loved the plot. I thought it would be like most YA Comtemp. where it just followed a girl who loved a boy and wanted romance in some way or another. But honestly, this book was almost like multiple plot lines mashed into one and I loved that. I thought it was unique, it wasn't confusing and each plot line contributed to one another.

I also liked how the ending wasn't a fairytale ending. It wasn't what everyone was waiting to hear. It was realistic and almost heartbreaking but it portrayed life so well.

I personally loved the book more than I expected to. I wasn't much of a John Green before this, but now I want to read the rest of the books I had missed out on! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments