I'm Almost Caught Up! - Night Shift Review

10:12



Night Shift by Stephen King


Night Shift is another one of Stephen King's collections of short stories. It's one of his first collections, published in 1978 and includes stories like Jersalem's Lot and Children of the Corn.


I have read a lot of King short stories because I love them a lot, as you can tell. I love King's books in general whether they are long or short but his short stories always have a place in my heart.

Like I said in my previous King review, I believe I'm almost done reading all of his short stories; I believe Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset and Nightmares and Dreamscapes are the last of his collections that I haven't read yet.

I finally decided to read Night Shift which I've put on hold for a while now because I thought I wouldn't be into this book, or enjoy it. Why? I'm not sure, I just didn't think Night Shift would be a collection I would love.

I'm glad I put those thoughts aside though because wow, did I love Night Shift.

Previous to reading this, I had a handful of short stories I really loved but not the overall books until I read Different Seasons. Night Shift definitely almost surpassed that for me. It was an incredible read.

Like I always say, it's starting to become a little repetitive when I say I love King's writing because quite frankly, that's pretty obvious. But this novel is so much more than King's amazing writing! It included so much plot thought and psychological twists that I loved.

One of the stories, which I'll get to later, left me in a huge gasp and I had to sit there, still, as I processed what I just read.

To me, Night Shift is considered "Classic King."

The only reason why it isn't a full five star rating was because I wasn't a huge fan of every short story that was included. Not because they were bad or anything but because they didn't give me that heart pulling feeling that the other stories did.

For this review, because there are many stories in this collection, I'll talk about the stories that really stood out to me - whether it was good or bad per se.

Gray Matter and Battleground were probably my least favourites of the collection that I could remember. I know a lot of people are gasping right now because Gray Matter is probably one of their favourites of the handful but it just didn't stick to me - positively - like the other ones.

I didn't feel much about Gray Matter. When I read it, it felt like my brain consumed the words but didn't bother to process it and that is probably why I'm not a huge fan of it.

As for Battlegrounds, I just found that story a little boring in my opinion.

My favourite of the stories were probably The Boogeyman, Jersalem's Lot, Graveyard Shift and Strawberry Spring.

The Boogeyman and Strawberry Spring both left me gasping by the end of the book because of their ending twist which I absolutely love about Stephen King's writing.

I Know What You Need was also quite an interesting read. That story had me on the edge of my chair for most of it, I had different theories and in the end, I was wrong for them all but I was still shocked by the time the story ended.

The last book I'll mention is Night Surf, which definitely reminded me of The Stand. Maybe it's because I read The Stand shortly before Night Surf but the whole disease element really struck me and I thought it was interesting.

Overall though, I loved Night Shift. I would probably consider it one of my favourite Stephen King collections in general.

I want to know, do you guys love short story collections? Let me know in the comments section below or on my Instagram! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments