The Ending Killed Me - A Court of Wings and Ruin Review

12:19



A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas 

The third book in the A Court of Thrones and Roses series, follows Feyre as she returns to the Spring Court to retrive information on why Tamlin is trying to bring Prythian down to its knees.


My thoughts for this novel is kind of in the middle.

It isn't as great as A Court of Mist and Fury, but it isn't as bad as A Court of Thorns and Roses. Which, by the way, if you would like to read my reviews for the both of them, ACOTAR will be linked here and ACOMAF will be linked here.

As always, the writing style is phenomenal. I always say this but I do quite enjoy Sarah J Maas' writing especially when it comes to Fantasy, I think that is her element. 

She also does a very well job as bringing out characters. I think I say this often, but a lot of the time when a book has multiple characters, the characters' personalities start to fade, or they tend to not stick out and the readers forget which character is known for what, etc. 

But I feel like Sarah J Maas thinks her characters out so well that you know what characters are talking.

Something that really wrecked me was the ending. I don't want to say too much because I want to keep it on the non-spoiler side, but the ending wrecked me.

I suppose it was expected since I love Rhysand so much, he's one of my all time favourite male characters in literature. But the way it was written and also incredibly unexpected, really tore me apart.

I also really loved how you can tell the growth between all the characters; Rhys and Feyre especially. But also with the Inner Circle. I feel like generally, the relationships and the characters have grown vastly since the last ACOMAF.

The reason why it wasn't as good as the previous book was because of pacing. I wouldn't say it was as bad as ACOTAR because of the characters, per se (ugh, I still strongly dislike Tamlin) but because it wasn't as eventful as other Maas books.

To me, this novel had suspenseful parts, yes indeed. But at other times, it was incredibly slow. I know for some, they've given up on this series because of this book. Personally, I still love this series but I do wish this was written like other Maas books!

And because the ending wrecked me so bad, and this is the last book in the series -- kind of, I'll explain in the next ACOTAR review, I was indeed content with the ending. It was a heartbreaking one, that is for sure. But I feel like it was also a good one.

You Might Also Like

0 comments