Are You Ready For The Tea? - A Court of Frost and Starlight Review

10:31



A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas

A Court of Frost and Starlight or ACOFAS is a novella from the A Court of Thorns and Roses "series" which occurs after A Court of Wings and Ruin and revolves around the Winter Solstice. It bridges the first three books and the upcoming spin-off books.


If you want to read my reviews for the previous books, they will be here: A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruin.

Are you ready for the tea?

I know I've heard so many mixed reviews and with mine, people who really enjoyed this will probably not like it, but my opinion is my opinion and your opinion is yours; I'm not judging. 

I also want to make a disclaimer that I an fully aware that this is a novella and not a full novel. 

I expressed a bit of how I felt in the A Court of Thorns and Roses Facebook group but if you aren't a part of that, then I suppose my opinion now will be the first you'll hear it. 

A Court of Frost and Starlight was okay. 

Personally, I find the Throne of Glass series to be much more interesting and intriguing than the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. I find that after ACOMAF, the series started going downhill.

Typically, I love Sarah J Maas' writing. If you read my reviews of the previous books, or even of the books I've reviewed so far from the Throne of Glass series, I always mention how much I love Sarah's writing. And I truly do. I find her writing to be best with the Fantasy genre. 

But I noticed that with A Court of Frost and Starlight, her writing isn't as intricate -- yes, again, I am fully aware it is a novella and isn't supposed to be a big wow-factor but so many authors have written Fantasy novellas and they are beautiful -- including Sarah's previous novella collection: The Assassin's Blade which was not only phenomenal but essential to the plot. To me, ACOFAS felt almost like a fun read. The writing style to me felt almost like a Christmas fanfic of the Inner Circle. 

It isn't necessarily bad. But it isn't good either. I found parts to be very cute especially between Feyre and Rhys whom I love so much. I also loved the gift exchange and the possible relationships in the next coming novels.

I think A Court of Frost and Starlight wasn't necessary. With it, it's a fun read; without it, it's whatever.

Character-wise, I still dislike Nesta. I know a lot of people are defending her because she is broken and I understand that but I never liked Nesta; let alone either of Feyre's sister's, but I do find Elain to be more manageable. There is a trigger warning for alcohol abuse if that makes you uncomfortable as well. 

One of the things I did love though is that Cassian, technically has his own Point of View. He does get chapters which basically revolve around him but it is written in third person opposed to Feyre and Rhys who is written in first person -- I thought it was weird but I'm not complaining, Cass having his own POV made my heart happy.

Overall, this book was okay. Not my favourite. Not essential. I could honestly live without it. 

I'd love to know your thoughts on A Court of Frost and Starlight though. Let me know in the comments or on my post on Instagram! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You Might Also Like

0 comments