I Read This Twice Before Writing This Review - Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) Review (Spoilers)

11:57



Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

Heir of Fire is the third book in the Throne of Glass series which follow the events that happen in the previous novel.


I'm really starting to run out of ways to express how amazing Sarah J Maas AND this series is.

I don't even know where to start without sounding like a record.

I guess we'll start off by saying, Sarah J Maas never fails to blow my mind away; with the plot and her writing. I think I love this author so much because I love her writing and this world so much. This was one of the first high fantasy novels that I read and became obsessed with when avidly joining the book community.

Now, I'll admit, this was once my favourite book of the series at one point, but this time reading it, it didn't stick out to me as much as I remember. I did notice there was a lot of really slow parts, more than I remember, but I think the characters made up for that. (I'll get more into that later *wink*) 

We really don't get much of Celaena's past, other than her relationship with Arobynn and Sam from The Assassin's Blade, but we never knew anything about Aelin. (Also, there's massive spoilers, so if you're not caught up on this series, you probably shouldn't continue.)

So in the previous book, Crown of Midnight, we find out near the end of the book from Chaol's perspective that Celaena is actually Queen Aelin Ashrvyer Galathynius (try saying that ten times fast). I really loved getting to know not Celaena, but Aelin. Her backstory is actually really interesting and I loved her training sessions with Rowan.

What blows my mind is that Sarah J Maas went from writing about Celaena, a badass assassin, to writing about Aelin with magical powers in a book. And it's something we should have expected because of her love of the "mythical creatures" at the beginning of Throne of Glass but I never caught on.

The magical element, I was really excited for because it brings a new twist that I didn't think this series needed. Celaena training with Rowan to turn into her fae self and use her fire powers was one of my favourite things of this book.

I loved the character growth of Celaena/Aelin. In the previous book, she lost her best friend, basically because of herself. In this book, she's overcoming this loss and healing from it. But not even just because of Nehemia's death, but by everything that had happened leading up to her being Celaena, and losing her first love, Sam. It's heartbreaking but also makes me appreciate her as a character so much more.

These characters in this series mean so much to me, mainly the "day one characters": Celaena, Chaol and Dorian. But we get introduced to new characters as well, which I love.

So if you're new to the fandom or not, I think everyone is fully aware of Manon and Rowan. And in this book, we finally get to meet the both of them. And I was very happy about that. I'm pretty sure I've had dozens of little giddy fangirl moments, because I loved the additions of characters as both are so badass!

Manon, I think is the most interesting character I've read since Randall Flagg from The Stand. She's genuine, yet you can tell she's hurting as well. I think I related to Manon the most of all these characters and that's why I love her the most. She's taught to not show emotion, no compassion or love. But she knows that isn't who she is. She loves Abraxos and she knows it. The connection between her and her dragon is so real. She reminds me a lot of Daenerys from A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones and I love it.

Dorian, as always, I love him more and more each book but the addition to him also having powers was completely mind blowing to me! And his relationship with Sorscha was also a nice change as he was always put last in the love triangle between him, Celaena and Chaol. But because I was so happy about this, I was completely upset when we find out that she dies - by Dorian's father. More so, heartbroken for Dorian. And to make matters worse, he's then imprisoned by his father. So obviously, Dorian has great luck this book.

The ending really blew me away because of this reason. 

Maas does a stupid-amazing job at making your heart ache at the end of a book, leaving you with the most impeccable cliffhanger.

The reason why I read this book twice was because I was caught up in my "re-read" meaning, every book after this, I haven't read yet. And because the last book in this series, Kingdom of Ash came out last year, I don't want the series I love to come to an end just yet. Well, that's how I felt.

Prior to writing this blog post, I thought, I minus well dive into the rest of the series, because I can re-read these books as much as I want from there. And it really excited me, so after my current read,  I'm definitely finishing this series!

What series were you scared to finish because you didn't want the series to end? Let me know in the comments section or on my Instagram! I want to make sure I'm not the only one!



You Might Also Like

0 comments