My Childhood! - Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series Review

13:52



Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan


Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan is a five book series that follows Percy Jackson. Percy believes he is a normal kid like everyone else; he attends school like a normal kid, has friends, etc. Until Percy realizes he is a demi-god, his father is a Greek god. The series follows Percy as he gets used to his demi-god life with quests and new relationships.


I read all five books in a 24-Hour Read A Thon and decided to review them all at once as it'd be easier to get through.

I'll be reviewing the series as a whole.

I absolutely love this series. I think I was one of the only kids who didn't grow up with Harry Potter as I found interest in HP in my late high school days.

Percy Jackson was the series I grew up with. I remember reading the first book in elementary school for a book report and was instantly hooked from there. I have so much nostalgia whenever I read this books: it feels like I have also grown up with Percy and his friends, not just the books. 

Fun fact, if you follow me on Bookstagram, you probably already know that Percy Jackson was my very first "book boyfriend." I feel like him and this series both have a special place in my heart!

Since we're on the topic of characters, I wanted to mention that the characters in not just this series but in any Rick Riordan book are absolutely lovely. In this series alone, there are a fair amount of characters. I say this all the time, but when a book or series has multiple characters, some characters appear to be very dull. That is not the case with this series. 

Each character has their own personality that makes them their own. I also love that Each character is portrayed by a different house, if that makes sense. Once a child is deemed demi-god, they are put into their cabins based on what Greek God or Goddess their parent is: Athena's kids have their own cabin, Poseidon's kids have their own cabin, Zeus, Apollo, etc. all have their own cabins which I love.

I feel like that minor detail makes it not only fun but useful for readers, especially since this series is aimed at a little younger audiences.

The plot for this series is absolutely phenomenal. Rick Riordan definitely thought the whole series through and I loved it. There wasn't a moment where a section of the series was dry, or slow. It was paced every well, which I also think was a great addition for the younger audiences.  

The rough patch I noticed was at the beginning of the series, the writing was indeed very dull. It felt almost like a first draft-kind of writing style. But, don't get me wrong, the writing does get better throughout the series. 

I've been reading Rick Riordan's recent books lately in which I've gotten used to and love his writing so reading the first two Percy Jackson books, you can definitely tell those were his first couple of novels but it should also show that your writing does improve throughout your lifetime.

Something I get a lot is, "I'm in my 20's (or even 30's), do you think I could still read the Percy Jackson books?" And the answer is yes. 

I find this series and any of Rick Riordan books (including Rick Riordan Presents books) to provide great knowledge on mythology. It is indeed Middle Grade but I believe, as long as you have an open mind and you are interested in all forms of literature, you may love this!

I've met so many people on Bookstagram who are older than I and love the Percy Jackson series! Read what you'd like and if you love it, then you love it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments