I Can't Pick! - The Maze Runner Movie and Book Review (Some Spoilers)

13:20



The Maze Runner by James Dashner 

The Maze Runner follows our main character Thomas who wakes up one day in a steel elevator underground with no memory but his name. When the elevator arrives on the ground floor, Thomas realizes he is stuck in what the other males consider "The Glade." A man made land surrounded by an ever-changing maze. Then, a girl, the only girl arrives and the message she delivers sends not only confusion and chills to the rest of the boys, but also terror. 

**I am fully aware of the sexual allegations that were made towards the author James Dashner. Honestly, I had pre-written movie and book reviews for the three books and after the allegations were made, I didn't want to post them anymore. But I did turn to Instagram and asked my readers what they thought and the only output I got was to post them anyways. I worked very hard on these reviews and a lot of my readers want to know my honest opinion so here it is. I do not condone James Dashner's behaviour relating to the allegations. These are my opinions about his books not about him as a human.** 

Book 



The Maze Runner was once one of my all time favourite trilogies-- before all these prequels and sequels were added. 

There is so much of this novel that has potential. 

For starters, the plot is just wow! Typically, in the Young Adult genre, most books seem to be alike in one way or another. The Maze Runner really brought new forms of originality in not only the YA category but the dystopian category as well. 

I thought the plot was very well written and thought out. 

I also loved the fact that the novel was very fast-paced. Never did I find moments too slow or wanted to skip certain parts because they were boring me. 

I also loved the friendship dynamic in the novel more than the movie -- I'll have to admit. 

In the novel, Thomas' relationships with Gladers are very different than in the movie. Especially Chuck and Alby. Everyone knows that in the movie, Chuck and Thomas are very close. Well in the books, I find that they are way closer in this medium. 

For example, in the movie, Chuck and Thomas have very brief moments of them talking. Most of the interaction between Chuck and Thomas was Chuck showing him around the Glade and telling him how things work.

In the novel, Chuck and Thomas share more of a brotherhood in my opinion. Chuck shows Thomas how to have fun, and that definitely includes playing pranks on Gally. 

Alongside Chuck, Thomas' relationship with Alby is also drastically different. In the movies, Thomas and Alby are best friends, almost like Alby is Thomas' mentor. In the book, Alby strongly dislikes Thomas.
Movie 



I personally loved the movie. Not necessarily because it was like the books, because in most adoptions, like this one, it wasn't relatively the same as the novel. 

What I personally loved the most was the cast. 

Of course everyone knows my one of my favourite actors and my "celeb crush" is Dylan O'Brien, so me loving the cast is an understatement. 

But to be realistic, the casting director picked a great group of actors and actresses to be the cast as their dynamic with each other is phenomenal. 

The movie to me was also very suspenseful. Like the book, it had me on the edge of my seat and I loved that feeling. 

Something I also noticed they subtly hinted but wasn't very prominent in the movie was that Thomas and Teresa aren't telepathic like they are in the book. Although Thomas dreams about Teresa often as has "memories" of her. 

This section kind of disappoints me because it was one of my favourite aspects in the novel, but also makes great relief because honestly, how would that be portrayed in a movie.

Peronally, I can't pick whether or not I like the book, or the movie better. I think with different aspects, each of the mediums are amazing. 


If you want to read it, save on The Maze Runner at Booksamillion.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments