Was My High Expectations Fulfilled? - Supermarket Review (Spoilers)

10:48



Supermarket by Bobby Hall

Supermarket follows our main character Flynn, who is depressed, recently dumped and currently living with his mom. Trying to get his life together, Flynn applies for a job at the Supermarket. A Supermarket that changes his life when he arrives to work at a crime scene and the secrets of his tortured mind are revealed. 


Welp, where do I start? 

Bobby Hall is actually the rapper Logic for those who aren't aware. My boyfriend is a huge fan of Logic and his music, and one day a couple of years back, he had me watch a couple of Logic's interviews. His mind and intelligence really intrigued me so when I found out he was publishing a book, I knew it was going to be amazing. 

That was until I actually sat down and read the book..

The first 20 pages we're really good in my opinion. There were a lot of humorous parts that I actually loved and they actually made me laugh out loud. And at first, certain writing styles that Bobby included, I really enjoyed.

There's an element at the beginning of the novel where the writer relates to the reader almost, and I thought it was going to be a little comedic element until this instance kept occurring and that's when I started to lose interest in it.

At first, I pictured it as those scenes in The Office, where they'll look at the camera whenever someone says something dumb and you just laugh.

But the more the main character, Flynn talks to the reader in this informal writing style, it becomes a little cringy-almost for me and it isn't really something I wanted to read throughout the novel.

I also thought the lack of dialogue was kind of weird, especially at the beginning of the book and I think this is because Flynn was relating to the reader more than actually going out and talking to people! (lol) 

When I did notice quotations in the novel, I felt like they weren't correctly placed. It bugged me how there were a lot of instances where Flynn would think something but it was written in quotations, although the whole book was written in first person, so I thought this wasn't really necessary. 

I noticed the whole dialogue element gets better throughout the book though, so I'm glad about that.

I also think the writing is a little too intricate. More intricate than you'd hope for in a novel. For example, there's moments where Bobby gets into what certain characters are wearing, or exactly what certain locations looked like and I don't really care about that aspect.

I know it's supposed to be an element of world building, but I feel like it isn't executed as well as I would've hoped. For example, it'll say something along the lines of: "The supermarket is 10ft by 13ft. The cash registers are at the front, right besides the freezer, and the deli section and bakery are at the back. The walls are red but the floors are yellow. There are nine isles and they run about 6ft down the store." 

That isn't an exact quote, but it's something similar. It's also something I don't really care about. I feel like world building should gradually occur, not all at once.

Getting into the juicy spoiler segment, I knew Frank wasn't real since day one. No one has personally talked to Frank and when you assume someone is talking to him, he's always around of group of people or Flynn, so it's obvious Frank isn't real. 

I knew this element right off the bat because one of my favourite books ever: Every Last Word has this same element. 

I predicted everything that occurred with Frank because it's basically the same exact thing that happens in Every Last Word, so I guess this didn't blow my mind as much as it would've for someone else who hasn't read a book with this element.

I'll admit that the ending was my favourite part though, mainly because of how it twists the novel back to the beginning. 

If you ever get a chance to listen to the audiobook though, I highly recommend it because Logic actually narrates it and I feel like his voice is great for this novel. There's also added music before every chapter and I quite enjoyed that.

My boyfriend repeatedly reminds me that this is Logic's debut novel, so I shouldn't be so hard on him, but let's be realistic. My whole job on the blog is to be critical and rapper or not, a debut novel is a debut novel and I've read so many that are phenomenal and greatly executed. But with that being said, I do believe that if Logic decides to publish another book, there is so much room for him and his writing to grow. 

What do you guys think? Have you read Supermarket? If you have, what did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below or on my Instagram! I'd love to know your thoughts!

You Might Also Like

0 comments