I Am Back And I Missed You Guys! - November and December Wrap Up

08:49



Hi friends!

It's been a while, hasn't it?

Since I haven't been posting for a whole month, I think I owe an explanation to my readers who don't follow me on social media. Basically, the holiday season really took me by the hair and dragged me across the ground because I worked two retail jobs with basically no days off.

You'll notice that in November, I was doing really well with being active and posting, but once December hit, I was working non-stop; forgetting to eat or really sleep and it was taking a toll on my body.

Obviously, that decision was my fault and that resulted in putting not only my blog but my book on the back burner. 

For those who don't know, 2019 is the year I want to get my writing career to take off and that includes my blog. Because my working hours are dying down after the holiday season, I'm definitely going to catch up on the month of posting I've been slacking on.

I have many reviews, and creative ideas I want to post throughout the year and I'm so excited to bring you all along with me!

Now, you're probably wondering: why have you gathered both November and December's Wrap Up together?

Well, because I've been working so much, I haven't been able to read a lot either. So I decided to gather the two up together!

With that being said, let's get into the books I read in November and December of 2018!



November Wrap Up

Elevation by Stephen King

As a die-hard Constant Reader, it should be quite obvious that I dived into King's newest release. Elevation is an incredibly small so I think it took me a couple of hours to finish. Nonetheless, it was a good read and I'll be posting a review for it soon!

Locke and Key Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

I started diving into graphic novels and comics more avidly in the month of November and of course, I had to dive into Joe Hill's series, Locke and Key. I love all things horror and was definitely down when I found out the plot for this series. I'm also trying to get all the volumes down before the (I believe) Netflix series comes out!

Locke and Key Vol. 2 by Joe Hill

Again, I'm trying to read as many volumes as I can before the adaptation series comes out so I dived Volume 2 right away. I think I loved this way more than the first one and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series soon.

Basic Witches by Jaya Saxena

For Basic Witches, I was looking for a perfect witchy informational book and happened to stumble across this. I had quite high expectations and unfortunately it just didn't do it for me. The cover is beautiful though and I'll definitely use it for photos in the future.

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

For those who don't know, I co-host a book club with my good friend Johely back at astoldbyjohely and our book club pick for November was Scythe. This is a book I cannot wait to write a review for because I have so much to talk about! There's some good and bad opinions I have about this novel, but I'm sure my review will be up very soon!

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

I ended up buddy reading this book with my friend Re at livrhee and I was really excited to read this. I don't think I've ever read anything by Tahereh Mafi let alone a book with a Muslim protagonist before this but I've learned to love her writing and the concept so much. Honestly, I picked up Shatter Me in hopes to read it very soon because I loved her writing that much.

Locke and Key Vol. 3 by Joe Hill

I think this is the latest of the Locke and Key volumes I've picked up but really enjoyed this as well. I've learned a lot about the characters and the plot that I am seriously obsessed with and cannot wait to see the visual motion adoption soon!

Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan

To add onto comics I've read during the month of November, I picked up Paper Girls which has been talked about a lot on bookstagram and booktube! I was really excited to dive into this because a lot of people said there was some Stranger Things vibes and you guys know how much I love Stranger Things. I'm still iffy on how I feel about this graphic novel. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to write a review for it, but if I do, I'll link it here.

Uncanny X-Men (1963-2011) Vol. 1 by Stan Lee

And the last comic I read in November of 2018 was Uncanny X-Men! I've been so obsessed with X-Men lately and I have been so eager to dive into their original content. (I definitely can say that Angel is my favourite X-Men character!) I don't think I've read any original comics until this one but I'm definitely in love and will have to check out other comics by Stan Lee soon!

December Wrap Up

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen was the first book I read in December and I was happy I started the month off strong. I had previously read Red Queen, maybe last year, and I wasn't a huge fan. But re-reading it made me seriously love it (just as much as Throne of Glass, wow, I know!) and I am so excited to read the other books soon!

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Almost every single King fan I've met says they love The Dark Tower series so I decided to treat myself for Christmas this year and pick up The Dark Tower boxset. I decided to dive into the first book, The Gunslinger last month and it was definitely a pretty cool read.

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Of course, every Christmas season I end up re-reading NOS4A2 so it should be no surprise that I picked it up during the month of December. I love adding a spooky twist to my holiday season and I have Joe Hill to thank for that. (Also, I just realized now how much Joe Hill I've been reading the past two months)

Uncanny X-Men (1963-2011) Vol. 2 by Stan Lee

Because I loved the first volume, I obviously had to dive into the second one as well. Definitely was as good as the first one - as always and I love that we get to see more of each of the X-Men's personalities. 

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

For the bookclub I co-host, our pick for December was Landline and it was a fantastic read. I don't read contemporary very often as I'm more of a fantasy kind of girl, but Rainbow Rowell never fails me. I also cannot wait to write a review for this because I definitely have so much to say!

Wizard of Once by Cressida Cowell

I found an Indigo Exclusive of this book and decided to pick it up in stores with some Christmas money (honestly, it was definitely a cover buy) and I thought I would really like it but it wasn't for me. I feel like the content was definitely aimed for a younger audience and although I've read a handful of Middle Grade (you guys know how much I love Rick Riordan's work) I felt like the MG books I've read and loved were definitely more up my alley and had more mature writing than these ones.

Whisky Words and a Shovel I by r.h Sin

I'm not a huge fan of modern poetry but recently I've felt eager to dive back into r.h Sin. I had a lot of high expectations with this one - why, I don't know, but the book and poems still didn't meet my expectations. With that being said, I guess I'll have to stick with Poe (I'm not complaining though because I love Poe's work) and dive into modern poetry another day.

And that, my friends, are the books I read in November and December of 2018. 

Now looking at all the books together, it does look like I've actually read a lot. Not necessarily in December, but November mostly. 

I'm so excited to continue my literary journey in 2019 and I'm so excited to bring you all along with me!

How has your 2018 reading been? Do you think I should do blog reviews on comics and graphic novels?

Let me know in the comments section below or on my Instagram!

You Might Also Like

0 comments