I Must Read More Of This Author! - Landline Review (Spoilers)

20:46



Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Landline follows our main character Georgie who's marriage is currently struggling as she picks working on her dream job - having her show aired on television, over spending Christmas time with her family. As she finds an old landline in her childhood bedroom, she realizes she can talk to the younger version of her husband. Georgie's first thought is to see what went wrong 20 years ago and if she can fix it, even if that means losing her marriage and kids.


(I've had to write this multiple times because blogger kept deleting my review whilst trying to post it - therefore, if it makes no sense, blame blogger. Sick Jessica has moved onto other reviews, lol)

I don't usually read a lot of contemporaries, mainly because I'm a huge fantasy reader.

But for the month of December, the book club I co-host's pick was Landline and I was definitely down.

I've only read two of Rainbow Rowell's books, Fangirl and Eleanor & Park and loved them! (I'll definitely have future re-reads so I can post reviews of them!)

But for those two books, I knew prior to picking the book up, what they were about. Landline, I didn't have a clue.

I haven't heard much about Landline, so I don't know if people before me really liked the book or didn't; I kind of just went with the flow.

When picking Landline up, I instantly remembered how much I love Rainbow Rowell's writing.

Landline is definitely beautifully written; not necessarily in a poetic way but in way where it's so easy to relate to the characters and follow the plot line.

I don't read a lot of contemporaries, but I've noticed that a lot of books in this genre these days typically have some form of deeper meaning to the plot line, which is something I do enjoy, but I liked that Landline was basically just a fun and simple read. Almost like those movies that bring you joy without making you overthink the plot.

I really loved the subtle addition of diversity in this novel though.

Throughout the whole book, we notice that Georgie's little sister has a crush on the pizza delivery guy and continuously orders pizza but when the pizza is being delivered, she asks that no one in her family is near the door.

Until near the end of the book where not only us the readers, but Georgie as well, finds out that her little sister isn't crushing on the pizza guy, but pizza girl. And that is a plot twist I didn't know I needed but I freaking loved.

Another portrayal of how amazing Rowell's writing is, is how much I questioned if she really talked to young Neal, her husband, or if Georgie was just going crazy.

The conversations with the younger version of her husband always seemed to match up, and even with Georgie's sister's comment on how Neal on the phone sounded nothing like himself, obviously pointed out that she really was talking to young Neal from decades ago.

But there are little elements that made me feel that Georgie was going a little crazy and I loved that, only because it could potentially go either way depending on the reader.

As characters are a huge element on how I view the book, I obviously had to see how well I connected to each of these characters and I guess it's safe to say I loved each and every one of them - almost.

I think Georgie's daughters were my favourite as they were so freaking cute, but I really wished they had more "screen time" per se. I really wish there were more moments in which we really got to know her daughters and their relationship with their mother.

I've read and watched a lot of reviews in which people said they weren't a huge fan of Georgie, but I really liked her character as I thought she was so genuine and realistic. I loved the fact that you could feel her decision to stay back in LA to work on the show on her dreams instead of being out of town with her family was something she has always wanted to do, but throughout the book you can feel her regret which ultimately leads to the ending of the novel.

The only character I really disliked was Georgie's friend and co-writer, Seth, who made it apparent that Georgie basically owed him and that is why she's sticking behind to work on their show instead of being with her family.

Near the end of the book, Seth ends up confessing to Georgie that he's fallen in love with her throughout the years and evidently, I thought it was useless information.

A love triangle that actually made me roll my eyes, to be honest because after Seth confesses this detail, his storyline with Georgie is over and he isn't mentioned in the book.

I feel like this element should have been kept out as it was quite obvious from the beginning and throughout all the flashbacks that Seth has always been in love with Georgie and wants her to leave Neal for him, but it doesn't make any impact on the plot whatsoever.

The only real problem I had with the novel though was the ending. I felt that Landline started amazing but ended in a less eventful way.

I was really hoping for some sort of event that could make or break Neal and Georgie's relationship, but it was really bland for me.

If Rowell made the ending a huge slap in the fact - negative or positive - I think I would have given it a 5/5 stars, regardless of my Seth remark.

Overall though, Landline was a really good read, but not necessarily something I've re-read again.

That opinion might change in the future, but for now, I'd love to dive into Rowell's other works.

What about you reader? Did you like Landline, if you've read it? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section or on my blog! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments