My First Book Club Read! - Scythe Review (Spoilers)

10:42



Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Scythe follows our two main characters, Rowan and Citra in which they attend an apprenticeship to be a future Scythe. With the world no longer having "natural deaths," a Scythe's job is to kill off humans and the days go by so the population doesn't over crowd. As neither Rowan or Citra are excited about this role, they must pursue the "art" of taking lives, knowing that it could evidently take their own as well.


For those who don't know, I co-host a Book Club with my good read Johely at astoldbyjohely on Instagram.

I've been in many book clubs since joining the book community, but I've never actually hosted one until now and I'm really excited about it. In the month of November, our book club, NintiesReadsALatte read Scythe as our first book club pick.

I had picked this book club pick, with no expectations and really, no previous knowledge on the book.

I've heard a lot of great reviews though and thought it'd be a great idea to take advantage of this opportunity and dive into this pick.

Of course, you guys know, one of the top things I look forward to in every book is the characters; they play a huge part on whether or not I like the books.

Citra and Rowan are incredibly interesting characters.

Rowan was definitely my favourite throughout the whole entire book. When we first get an insight on Rowan and who he is as a person, we see his bravery as he intrudes a Scythe about to kill one of the popular kids in school. Obviously terrified, Rowan sticks around with the boy and holds his hand as he passes.

I really liked this scene because it was not only sad but it shows Rowan's true personality and potential. Realistically, how many people would stick around to hold someone, whom they didn't have any personal connection to, as they passed away.

The thing that was so realistic though - sadly - was that the rest of the school had no idea how much Rowan impacted the gentlemen and his situation, so they bullied and bagged on him.

As for Citra, I really didn't like her until the point of view basically switched to her.

The whole beginning, she really annoyed me with her "sass" if you will; it wasn't like badass "yaass kween" sass but almost like, "please stop talking" sass.

But of course, the more we get to know Citra and as she grows, I really started to like her.

I really liked the fact that Neal Shusterman hinted a bit of love that could potentially happen in the next book but doesn't necessarily make it a top priority.

These days in Young Adult Literature, there is always some sort of relationship or love triangle, but in Scythe, you feel suspense, almost. Or really want these two characters to be together, but they don't end with a kiss or anything and I liked that change.

The whole plot revolves around the society of Scythes and their purpose to kill because "natural" deaths aren't a thing anymore, and I had so many thoughts on it.

As you all probably know by now, I love horror. I love all things gruesome in pop culture - and if you've watched a horror movie with me, especially a slasher movie, you'd know. But this was on another level for me. And I'm not sure if I just wasn't able to make that connection that this is fiction or because I kept relating it to current society and that thought of it happening in real life, or that this wasn't meant to be a horror novel which is what I didn't see any of this appealing but rather intuitive, I don't know.

But the thought of picking a random person to die and picking how they died, really made me angry.

I didn't feel uncomfortable whilst reading Scythe, but just angry.

One of the scenes that really pissed me off was when a group of Scythes walked onto a plane and started mass killing everyone on it. But not "nonchalant" deaths like our main Scythe, Faraday did will a pill which casues sickness or poisoning or whatever.

But these mass killings were with guns and explosives and what not. It wasn't "cool" like a man with a hockey mask coming out of a lake to kill people will machetes; it was realistic content which wasn't supposed to be horror anyways, that made my horror loving self, roll my eyes.

The writing style, was well done for the most part. I really enjoyed Shusterman's writing; it was straightforward and for suspenseful parts, kept me on the edge of my seat.

But the reason why I'm giving this book a 3.5 instead of a 4 or a 5 was because the beginning was amazing and the ending was amazing. But the middle was so boring, I almost put down my book with the intention of never picking it up ever again.

Had Shusterman pulled the suspense and action and active writing throughout the book, I feel like it would have been a solid five stars for me.

Overall, I'd love to dive into the second book Thunderhead at one point because I hear it is so much better, but I don't think it's top priority for me.

I think Citra and Rowan take the cake on what made me love this book the most.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! What did you guys think of Scythe if you've read it?

Let me know in the comments section or on my Instagram! I'd love to know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments