Was This A Perfect Conclusion? - End of Watch Review

10:14



End of Watch by Stephen King

End of Watch is the bone-chilling conclusion to the Bill Hodges Trilogy mixing both detective/crime fiction and supernatural elements to create one of the most interesting endings yet.


The trilogy has come to an end and I am quite bummed about it.

I feel like within the past couple of weeks, I've grown so close to these characters that it's really hard to think this is the last book in the trilogy.

I'll have to admit though, this was probably my least favourite book of the trilogy. 
 Not necessarily because the book was bad or written the worst but because it didn't really feel like a conclusion to me personally. 

I know Stephen King admits that he isn't very good at conclusions anyways but I was hoping for a more "In-Your-Face" kind of conclusion. 

I did enjoy the read though, I loved being able to live in the same world as my favourite characters one last time - maybe.

Holly, Jerome and Bill are my absolute favourite trio and I think the way King has written the three of them was quite well. The dynamic between them is truly one of my favourites and I think it's one of my favourite friendship dynamics in a King novel.

There was indeed so many twist and turns in this novel, especially when it came to Brady's powers at it's full potential. I thought that was an awesome idea, and very King-like to add Stephen King's infamous supernatural aspects into his books. I do wish these aspects were brought at either the end of the first book or at least in the second because I wanted these to be expanded a little more as I did really love the incorporation. 

His almost psychic abilities perhaps, were amazing. I am very convinced that his powers are somewhat connected to the powers portrayed in the Hulu show, Castle Rock.

Nevertheless, we still got that supernatural effect and I am very pleased.

I also really loved the incorporation of the Zappit, which is almost like a Game Boy. I thought that was very interesting and quite pleasing. 

I have been really into futuristic-kind of books or books that serve some form of gaming utility so when I found out they use a Zappit in this book, I was automatically intrigued. 

As always, I found a lot of references that King tends to use in his work that relate to his previous novels: for example, Brady has very similar powers to Randall Flagg from The Stand and him being in Room 217 which is the same as in The Shining.

I overall, really enjoyed this book, although it felt more like a middle of a series than a finale.

You Might Also Like

0 comments