Wish I Read This First! - The Assassin's Blade Review (Spoilers)

13:06




The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas

The Assassin's Blade is a collection of five novellas all occurring before the Throne of Glass series starts. 


I was told to read this collection of novellas after the second book in the Throne of Glass series, Crown of Midnight. And honestly, after actually reading this collection of novellas, I disagree.

In this collection of novellas, you meet Sam Cortland and get to see the evolution of his relationship with Celaena throughout the book.

A spoiler to this novel that you probably wouldn't know unless you've read the series is that before Throne of Glass takes place and Celaena ends up in Endovier, she has a companion, Sam, whom she falls deeply in love with, but we find out in Throne of Glass that he dies during a quest they did together. 

It was spoken briefly in the first Throne of Glass book and since, to my understanding, isn't really brought up. 

I feel like I wasn't the only one questioning what, in depth, happened in Sam and how their relationship really was as the was brushed off until this novella was released. 

Although this is formatted as a novella, it does explain a lot about what leads Celaena to Endovier alongside everything occurring with Sam. You also get to meet Celaena's aggressive trainer Arobynn. 

In my honest opinion, if you want the full reading experience, I recommend you read this book first; before you touch Throne of Glass because the end of this book occurs a little after Throne of Glass begins. It all makes sense and will hit you in the feels even more.

The ending is obviously heart-wrenching as I've seen it coming since I've read Throne of Glass first but again, I would highly recommend this before.

Story-wise, I'd say all the novellas were perfectly executed but in my opinion, each story gets better and better. The further you get into the book, the better they stories get.

I really enjoyed reading Celaena's growth throughout the novel as well as the growth with her relationship with Sam. I think, because I read Throne of Glass first, I cared more of Sam's story than anything.

My favourite story was the "The Assassin and the Healer" because you see a softer side of Celaena which I liked. I also really liked Yrene as a character and am very excited to read Tower of Dawn; although I have a long ways to go, because I hear she is finally a prominent character in the Throne of Glass series.

Overall, I really enjoyed this collection of novellas, although if you want the best reading experience with the Throne of Glass series, read the novellas first.

You Might Also Like

0 comments