Short But Simple - A Court of Thorns and Roses Review

12:26




A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas


A Court of Thorns and Roses or ACOTAR is the first book in the series which follows our main character Feyre who lives is a very poor family. She lost her mother when she was young and the event has mentally damaged Feyre's father, leaving huntress Feyre to provide for herself, her father and her two sisters - who has no interests in helping make money for the family. As she's hunting for food in the woods, she kills a wolf which results in a beast-like creature demanding Feyre to come with him to his magical land of the Fae as retribution. From there, Feyre meets Tamlin, the not-so-beastly faerie who saved her life and all the rumours from what she's been told diminishes as she tries to save the land.


OH MY GOODNESS! Sarah J. Maas never fails me with her books. This being the second time reading ACOTAR, might I say it was better than the first time. 

Sarah J. Maas has a very interesting writing style. It's definitely considered to be in the Young Adult genre, although there are many aspects which leans it closer to New Adult. The steamy love scenes is a main provider for this aspect, although, I definitely wouldn't say it crosses the line to New Adult just yet!

Generally though, I love Sarah J. Maas' writing. The book itself was so beautifully written. There was never a part of the book where I felt like it was a little slow. It was suspenseful and beautiful. I love the placement of words; it all just flowed ever so beautifully. To me, her writing doesn't seem like most YA writers, she uses almost like adult literature writing 

I also love the characters in the books. Just their personalities themselves and the way they interact with one another is quite lovely. I'm also a sucker for a female lead - especially if she's "kickass". 

Just like any other book written by Sarah J. Maas, her worlds are always so intricate. Which is something I love about her writing. There definitely isn't a broad way of describing her worlds, and the reader is easily able to picture the world of Fae in their head, instantly! Because of this, not only do I love her worlds, but it also makes it a little bit more difficult to read for me. Not really saying that I had trouble reading the series, but it just took me a little bit longer to get through. 

Typically, any Fantasy world thats very intricate and specific, mixed with an obsession of a novel makes me take a little longer to read because I don't want the book to end. I have the same experience with most books I really enjoy. 

There are also very difficult names in the novel but there should be a pronunciation guide at the end of each novel.

Updated May 11, 2018:

I realized that I didn't post a specific detail that made me dislike the book and at first, I was going to write a whole new review but I thought, why not just add onto this one because I still agree with what I wrote previously, I just felt like I needed to add this part in as well.

My main problem I had is that I don't like all the characters. Of course, there are a few that are my favourites but I feel like most of the characters drove me nuts.

Our main character Feyre is of course one of my favourites in this novel. She isn't necessarily like Celaena from Maas' other novel Throne of Glass, but she is and does very well become more badass in the next coming books.

I genuinely disliked Feyre's sisters, Elain and Nesta. I felt as if Elain was more manageable to like, but with the very limited scenes with Nesta, she's very snobby, very bratty. I strongly disliked how she expected Feyre to do everything for her, and when Feyre makes mistakes, she pulls the "Well Feyre did it, so."

I also strongly disliked Tamlin, a male fae who makes Feyre stay with him since she killed one of his people whilst hunting.

Tamlin and Feyre's relationship is basically abusive and it drive under my skin. I strongly disliked how he acted like he owned her when of course, he doesn't.

I think a hatred for Tamlin is very popular in the series, although I know there are some people who like Tamlin as well.

You Might Also Like

0 comments