Uh Oh.. Unpopular Opinions Time! - To All The Boys I've Loved Before Review

12:27




To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


To All The Boys I've Loved Before follows our main character, Lara Jean whom, I'm sure like any other teenage girl writes love letters to all the boys she has/had crushes on. Lara is very detailed with her letters and pours her heart and soul into the letters because of one main reason: she is the only person who's supposed to read them. Until one day, all Lara's love letters are mailed out and her imaginary love life goes out of control. 


I honestly did not enjoy this book as much as I hoped for. I had previously read TATBILB in my earlier years of high school and remembered liking it, but did not remember anything that happened in the book. Now that I've read it as a adult and I'm more judgemental on writing styles and plot ideas, I really didn't enjoy the read. 

The writing style in general really wasn't my cup of tea. I've read many contemporary novels that were written so beautifully, but this book specifically, felt like it took Lara's daily routine too strict; almost like I was reading a day by day plan of our protagonist and that made me feel like it was a similar writing style to something you'd read on Wattpad. The plot itself though, I loved the idea of a teenager writing secret love letters and them accidentally being sent. I think the idea was great! I just wished Jenny Han would have dominated the plot a little better. 

As for the characters and the relationship between them, there were some characters I really liked and some I really didn't like. Lara Jean's family members and Peter K were to name a few that I did like. I honestly didn't like Margot or Chris at all though and found them to be really annoying characters. I didn't see much character growth either within the novel which is what I'd hoped for. 

Another thing I really didn't understand was how the novel was based most on family relationships rather than the fact that Lara's letters were released. And I know - a lot of people say you have to keep reading the trilogy in order to get the whole story. But personally, I think there wouldn't need to be a trilogy; duology at the most, if the family drama was cut down a little and the plot focused more on Lara's now prominent love life. 

Regardless, I am still very excited to see the movie. Mainly because I'm really excited to see a female Asian character being portrayed in the media. I'm also hoping the movie will be a little better than the book. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments