I Did Horrible! - My First 24-Hour Read-A-Thon Experience

14:25




So if you're not sure what a 24-Hour Read-A-Thon is; its when an individual(s) binge read for a full 24 hours - unless you chose to sleep like I did. And might I add, I did horrible.

I was inspired by readbyzoe on Youtube to do a Read-A-Thon after I watched her first Read-A-Thon video and thought the whole idea would be fun to do!

On August 20th at exactly midnight, I began my own 24-Hour Read-A-Thon and updated my instagram story frequently. My goal was to finish reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer, which I had already started and was two chapters in as well as When Dimple Met Rishi by Sadhya Menon which I was about half way through on audible. I also wanted to start and complete Whisky Words and A Shovel I by R.h Sin, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher and Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne.

To most, that may seem like a lot of reading; but me being myself, I typically finish about four books each month, more if its a great month. So I wasn't feeling incredibly worried at all. I tried to pick my books strategically; majority of the books I had chosen to read and finish were short books. I also picked 13 Reasons Why because not only did I want to do a review for it and compare it to the television show, but its a contemporary novel and I tend to fly through contemporaries. I also picked Whiskey Words and A Shovel I since there is about 20 words on each page and I thought it would be great to read in between novels to rest my mind.

I won't bore my readers with a hour to hour plan; therefore if you haven't seen my Instagram story updates, I apologize for not giving you details on my failure but I can tell you that I didn't do as well as I planned.

I had successfully finished When Dimple Met Rishi and Whiskey Words and A Shovel I and had also read a little more than 100 pages in Cinder which resulted in reading a whopping 608 pages in 24-Hours, but it wasn't as much as I really hoped for as I was striving for at least 2000+ pages.

I'm not sure if it was just because I picked the wrong books, or the wrong time to read; but I definitely won't throw out excuses on why I barely hit my goal. I won't lie, at one point I planned to take a 30 minute nap which resulted in a three hour long nap, wasting most of my reading time.

Something I'd do differently next time is probably pick a better day. The day before the Read-A-Thon, I was at a party and the day of, I went shopping with my family which I think both tired me out. I don't think my book choices were a problem though and I was very content with that!

Regardless, I did have a lot of fun with my Read-A-Thon, and would definitely do it again in the future.

You Might Also Like

0 comments