Oh No, I'm Not Very Crafty... - Making A Will Herondale Custom Funko

09:38



So, I guess you all really liked my painting edges experience so I thought I'd make a new series on my blog about this.

I am not a very crafty person. I'm a perfectionist though, so it may seem that I am crafty most of the time but I'm really not. I'm not very good at cooking things out of the ordinary. (It took me two years to perfect eggs and I'm still struggling with not burning grilled cheese lol) 

So I thought I'd take advantage of my two flaws and make a series out of it - because thats what we do to be a little positive! 

I've decided to try out fun crafty and food related things that have some relation to books, and talk about my whole experience. With that being said, none of these blog posts will be tutorials (I'll mention what products I used and recipes I follow, but the post itself isn't a how to) because honestly, I don't think you'd want to learn how to do these things from me.

Today, I decided to do something I've always wanted to do and that's customize my own Funko Pop!

I think it's quite evident that I collect Pop! Vinyl Figures. I mean, they're all over my library and bedroom. I even got my boyfriend to start collecting them! I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to try and create one of my favourite characters at the moment: Will Herondale from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare.

I've decided to follow the somewhat tutorial of this YouTube video, so if you want to see how the original owner made it, the link will be here.

With that being said, let's go and make our own little Will Herondale!

I used very simple products, most of which I used in my sprayed edges blog post!


For starters, I used the same dollar store paint brushes to change up the hair colour and outfit on our Will Herondale. For a pack of 5 (I believe), I think I paid roughly $2 which isn't so bad if you're trying to do this project on a budget!


The next thing I used was also the same black dollar store paint that I used for my sprayed edges. I believe this was a couple of dollars as well. (I can't really remember, it's been a while since I've bought it.) The paint is acrylic which dried a little more matte than I would've wanted but I think it turned out really well!


And lastly, I used a Newt Scamander Funko as the base of my Will Funko Pop! These usually aren't that expensive; I'm pretty sure you can get these for as cheap as $9. When I ordered this Pop Figure, I had the option to get the original Pop with the wand (I was originally going to cut it down and make it into a steele like the video tutorial) or the chase variant in which he's holding a book.

As you can see above, I got the Chase variant, which, originally, I was pretty bummed about it. But then I remembered that Will loves books so I managed to work it all out.

I followed the video tutorial and painted his hair black, alongside his pants and it was already looking like a new Funko Pop. The only thing I would've changed in this process is the type of paint I ended up using. Like I said earlier, the paint job ended up a bit more matte than I would've liked it too.

To separate this Funko from looking like a regular man and into more of our Shadowhunter, Will Herondale, I decided to draw a couple of runes throughout the exposed skin as well.




As for the book, I decided to write "Vatek" which was one of Will's favourite books that he mentioned in The Infernal Devices.

I think, overall, Will turned out beautifully. I didn't end up putting painters tape on any of the parts I didn't want painted, but I still managed to stray on the areas I really wanted to.

I'm really excited to be doing more of these kinds of blog posts! If you have any suggestions on what creative bookish things you'd like me to try out, definitely let me know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments