My Very First Read-A-Thon! - ReadAThon of the Soul TBR

13:15


Hi lovelies, it's been a while since I've posted.

I know what you guys are thinking; "Jessica, I'm really tired of your excuses!" and I don't have one at the moment, other than the fact that I have been in an incredibly harsh reading slump. But, I've been slowly getting back into the swing of things and I'm hoping I'll be back to reading and blogging more avidly soon.


So, a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across a post by NunuKz on Twitter (TheperksofbeingNoura on Insatgram) basically announcing a BTS-themed Read-A-Thon. I'll admit, I've never joined a Read-A-Thon held by other people before; I've had my own 24 Hour Read-A-Thons by myself but when I found out this was based on BTS, I was sold.

If you don't follow me on my social media accounts, I am kpop trash. I post about them often and I know a lot of people who don't like kpop are probably so tired of my posts, but it is what it is. (My twitter header always switches between Jaehyun from NCT, Baekhyun from EXO and Wooseok from Pentagon and you guys seem to love calling me out on it lol - they're my ultimate biases, fight me.) 

BTS is one of my favourite groups, not necessarily my ultimate group but definitely one of my top 10, so when I found out about this Read-A-Thon, I was sold! (I also have a BTS and Kpop book tag that are both coming out very soon, so look out for that as well.)

Today, I wanted to share my TBR (to be read) list for this fun little Read-A-Thon which starts on August 20th!



Here are the prompts for ReadAThon Of The Soul.

If you've skimmed through the prompts a little, it says that you don't have to read books for all the prompts, but I thought, why not? Since I've been in such a reading slump lately, I definitely want to use this Read-A-Thon as an opportunity to catch up on some reading. 

I tried to pick books that could be used for more than one prompt so I'm not forcing myself to read that whole month which will put me into another reading slump, but I also tried to pick books that would really interest me and hopefully get me back to reading 15 books a month.



Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay

Ever since I found out about this book a couple months ago, I've been dying to read it. From my knowledge, this book follows a Filipino teen whose cousin was killed by the president of the Philippines' drug war. For those who don't know, I am Filipino and my family has gone through something similar a couple years back with extended family. I haven't actually read any Filipino rep books yet because they're pretty hard to find in YA, so I'm super excited to have stumbled across this one. 

For this book, I'm going to read it for the Persona and Dionysus prompts because it is an own voice book as well as a diverse read.

Aurora Rising by Jay Kristoff and Amy Kaufman

Aurora Rising has been on my TBR since it was announced honestly, and at one point I really tried to pick it up, but ended up putting it down because of my reading slump. I want to dive into this book though and love it, especially because I think Jay Kristoff and Amy Kaufman are amazing co-authors for each other, so slid this book into my TBR so I had no choice but to read it. Everyone I've met, all said this book was amazing anyways, so I do have high hopes for it.

For this book, I'm going to read it for the Make It Right prompt because it's written by more than one author.

Ao Haru Ride Vol (?) by Io Sakisaka

Because I don't want to drown myself in only novels, especially since I'm slowly getting out of a reading slump, I've decided to add a manga into my TBR as well. Not only will it help me read a book for a prompt, but it's also a manga and will probably only take me a couple of hours to read and finish. I've been recently loving manga and kdramas with a lot of romance in it, and everyone on bookstagram has recommended Ao Haru Ride. I decided to leave the ? in, because I've decided I want to start the manga series before the Read-A-Thon, so I'll read whichever volume I'm on when the Read-A-Thon starts!

For this manga, I'm going to read it for the Boy With Luv prompt because it's a romance-based manga.

Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

For those who don't know, I absolutely love Every Last Word. It was one of the very first mental health-based book that I really related to and really stuck to me. I talk about it every here and there on my social media platforms because it's made such a huge impact on my life and accepting myself with OCD. I haven't read it in a little while and decided, because it fits with a couple of prompts, I should definitely add it to my TBR.

 For this book, I'm going to read it for the Mikrokosmos and the Jamais Vu prompts because it's a book that really means a lot to me, and it's also a mental health-based book.


Bonus Books:

Now, like I said earlier, I don't want to push myself to read more books than I don't really need to, especially because I just came out of a reading slump. But I did want to add a couple of books to those prompts that are being executed by one book (like two prompts under one book), just in case I'm in the mood to read more (which tends to happen a lot.)

I'm only going to read and add these books to my Read-A-Thon list if I've completed all the previous books and still have time to read more/am still in the mood to read more. It's not something that I'll necessarily push myself to do if I don't feel like it, because the main purpose of this Read-A-Thon, for me, is to not only have fun and meet new kpop book stans, but to also get back in the hang of reading!

So the prompts that I've decided to execute with one book are Persona, Dionysus, Mikrokosmos and Jamais Vu.

Vicious by VE Schwab

Victoria/VE Schwab has been one of my new all-time favourite authors who has really changed my outlook on writing in so many ways; not only what's provided on page, but also the process of writing and publishing a book. I've fallen in love with her work within the past year and have been dying to read Vicious since I purchased it a couple months ago.

I've decided that if I want to read more than the four books above, I'll add this to the Mikrokosmos prompt because Vicious is by an author who has changed my life.

This Time Will Be Different by Misa Sugiura

I am an absolute sucker for diverse reads, especially when it's Asian-based. A couple of months ago, Eric and I went to the bookstore multiple times and I bought a couple of Asian-based books; This Time Will Be Different being one of them. I've had the book for a little while now but never ended up reading it (obviously) so if I decide to read more, then I'll definitely add this onto one of the prompts as well. 

If I decide to read this book as well, I'll add this to the Dionysus prompt because it's a diverse read.

As you'll probably notice, I don't have anything categorized under the Home prompt and that's only because you don't have to pair it with a book. The prompt is to read with your BTS bias, however you choose to portray that. Noura kindly added printable bookmarks if you are joining and would love to use those for this prompt. But I don't have much access to a printer. I've decided to use fake photocards of my bias (who is it, you'll have to wait until I post photos of that prompt *wink* - although if you know me well, you probably already know who my bias is lol) mainly because I haven't gotten my bias in a BTS album yet and people have given me home made photocards of him in the mail before. 

And there we have my ReadAThon of the Soul TBR!

I'm really excited for this Read-A-Thon, not just because it's my first group Read-A-Thon, but also because I'll get to meet new people and I'm hoping it will really get me to read more than I have been the past couple of months.

My goal is to definitely finish the first four books, although, if I'm able to read and finish the bonus books as well, I'll be more than happy!

If you want to join the Read-A-Thon as well, it's not too late! The Read-A-Thon starts August 20th 2019 and ends on September 20th, 2019 so you have a bit of time to plan out your TBR!

Definitely follow Noura on her Instagram and Twitter for more updates as well!

Hope you guys are able to join in!

You Might Also Like

0 comments