We Love Diverse Novels - With The Fire On High Review

11:50



With the Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo

With the Fire On High follows our main character Emoni, a teenager trying to balance school, work - and a baby. Thankfully, Emoni has a lot of help from her abuela as she's trying to finish up her senior year of high school. But Emoni has a cooking talent like no other and nothing is driving her away from that passion.


My second Acevedo book because of Johely and I loved it just as much as I loved The Poet X.

Again, like The Poet X, I wasn't really planning on writing a blog post for this book because I only had good things to say. I had no critical opinions or things that make me say "omg, wtf."

I have nothing but love for this book. But then I thought about it, and well, I decided to write a review anyways just talking about how much I loved it.

Therefore, my review will be significantly shorter than my usual ones because I'm just going to say what I love, and that's all. No spoilers or anything.

First of all, I love Elizabeth Acevedo's writing. I said it in my review of The Poet X, and I'll say it here, I love her writing so much. There's something to it that just feels so strongly to your heart. Like it hits you in all the right places and it makes you feel genuinely good.

Her writing has improved per se (as if anything needed to be improved) but I loved reading a novelization of her writing, rather than poems; although both are so good and well written.

I loved the characters so much, and how easy it was to love Emoni. Usually contemporary main characters are a hit or miss for me. But I absolutely loved Emoni and could feel her passion through the words.

Her abuela also made me laugh like a true Hispanic; she's a very genuine character. From the humour to the love and care she has for not only Emoni but Emma as well.

I loved the plot as well, and how, although there is a love interest, it isn't a typical romance story. It follows Emoni and her loves, yes. But her love for cooking, her family and most importantly her daughter.

It talks about the struggles of high school, academics, relationships and everything in between. And I love how accurate all the points are. I never felt like anything was over dramatic. It was purely genuine and I loved that.

The chapters are short as well which makes the read go so much faster as well and I loved that.

(There's also added recipes in the book that sounds delicious and I honestly want to try them all.)

I think the only negative thing about this book, was how much Emoni reminded me I can't cook. To sum it all up.

Overall though, I loved this book and I can't wait to re-read it soon. (Very soon, it's a nice summer read.)

Have you ever read a book you loved so much, you couldn't find any negative aspect about it? Let me know in the comments section below or on my Instagram. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You Might Also Like

0 comments