Did It Beat "IT" - The Shining Book and Movie Review (Spoilers)

11:11




The Shining by Stephen King 


This is one of King's more popular and older books which follows the Torrence family in their journey through what at first seemed like a fresh new environment and a perfect place for Jack to finish up writing his play, to a more sinister location - especially for Jack's five year old son, Danny who has uniquely gifted abilities.


Book

Okay let me start off by saying I LOVE Stephen King's writing. I know I continue to talk about him and his work but he definitely deserves it. His writing is just so pure and realistic, that it is bone chilling. 

The only negative aspect I could really say about the novel was how I didn't like some parts just ran on. Especially at the beginning where Jack was taught how the hotel worked; I generally thought that portion of the book, and a few others weren't necessary. Although, there were so many suspenseful scenes were incredible and they definitely overtook all the scenes that ran on a little too much. 

Character-wise, I loved Jack's five year old son, Danny. Danny has this thing called "The Shining" which is basically a telepathy ability with other Shiners. This also means he has an extra sensitivity to his environment in which he sees "visions". 

Danny himself is just an adorable character. Bright, hilarious and thoughtful. For his age, he is very smart and curious which I adore. He loves the outside and sees the good in everyone - especially his father who was an alcoholic and is abusive.

I found myself loving scenes that involved Danny way more than scenes that involved Jack and/or Wendy. 

Jack's character I seemed to like; but in a sense where I loved to hate him. His character throughout the novel gets quite interesting and terrifying. Especially when being in the Overlook Hotel for so long. But you do see certain aspects of Jack where he is loving and caring, even after everything negative he does. Which is one of my favourite aspects of King's characters. 

In novels, most stories portray characters as jerks or sweethearts. Jack had - I guess - a mix of both which really humanized his character and I loved that. You don't often see that in literature anymore. 

The plot had very interesting aspects to it that definitely made it as terrifying and equally as lovable as IT, one of Stephen King's most popular reads alongside The Shining. 

But would I say The Shining is better?

Maybe not better. But near the same level.

Movie 



The movie was definitely something special. 

There was a fair amount of scare and gore as there was thriller. 

Actor-wise, they picked pretty great actors for the film. Jack Nicholson and Danny Lloyd played amazing Jack and Danny - loved how the actors' names matched their character. 

I feel like Jack Nicholson will always be known as the infamous Jack Torrence for his creepy appearance as the writer. But Danny Lloyd also played an adorable Danny Torrence you fell in love with. Just his precious low toned voice which sounded almost fearful was amazing. 

And the "Redrum" scene was my absolute favourite. I had to grab the Danny Torrence Funko Pop! because one, its Danny and two, the infamous "Redrum" written on the box is incredible.

Although, personally, I didn't like the casting for Wendy as to me, she sounded a little too monotoned which made it difficult to follow her throughout the movie. 

Of course, just as any adaptation, the movie was nothing like the book. But for this instance, I mean it was nothing like the book. Scenes were cut out, or the plot was changed in one way or another. 

I disliked the fact that the movie made it seem like Jack just had cabin fever which is why he went crazy. When in the book, it's because the spirits in the Overlook Hotel thought it was difficult to possess Danny, so they possessed Jack instead. 

Usually when people think of the movie, they think of Jack getting cabin fever which is definitely all wrong. 

Supposedly even King doesn't like the adaptation which caused him to create his own version as a mini-series which I have yet to watch and review as it is incredibly hard to find it online now. 

Personally, as a movie itself and I'm watching it as a horror fan, yeah its a great movie. But as always, as a Stephen King fan, it definitely isn't good enough. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments